The New School Chess Club has nurtured some of the best scholastic players in the state of North Carolina. The team, coached by International Master Jonathan Schroer, has enjoyed a host of successes in prior events and continues to grow and improve tremendously.
“Parents Play Free” Tournament
- Date and Time: Saturday, December 6, 2014. Please arrive between 8:30-9am to check in and practice. Tournament starts at 9:30am.
- Playing Site: The New School Montessori Center, 5617 Sunset Lake Road, Holly Springs, NC 27540 (map and directions). (This is just 5 miles from the 540/55 intersection and 7 miles from the WakeMed Cary Hospital.)
- Student Online Registration: Please complete the registration form below. Include your student’s full name, school, grade, birth-date, street address, and parent’s cell phone number. Please note ALL participants will need to have an active USCF ID.
- Parent Online Registration: Parents also need to pre-register for the tournament. Please provide your name, email address, and phone number in the form below. All participating parents will also be required to have an active USCF ID.
- Email Registration: Email entries to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (919) 303-3636 (school) and ask for Jonathan Schroer.
- Payment Options: You can pay by credit card via PayPal using the Buy Now button below, or you can pay by cash or check onsite. Entries can also be mailed with the registration fee payable to The New School PTO, 5617 Sunset Lake Road, Holly Springs, NC 27540, or payable on the day of the event.
- Entry fee: The entry fee is $15* per student if your registration is received by Friday, December 5, 9:00pm. The entry fee is $25* if you have not pre-registered. Up to two parents of each child tournament player may enter the tournament with no entry fee! (*$5 discount for TNS students.)
[expand title=”CLICK HERE FOR MORE TOURNAMENT DETAILS.” trigclass=”noarrow purplefont” targclass=”collapse-content”]
Sections: Open sections by USCF rating, K-1 section if registrations allow (for 1st graders and younger that wish to play in this section). Everyone gets to play all games, win or lose. Open sections are by United States Chess Federation rating. Only 1st graders and younger may play in the K-1 section.
- Open sections: Round 1 at 9:30am, Round 2 at 12:30pm, Round 3 at 3pm. Rounds may begin earlier, if all games in a section conclude ahead of schedule.
- K-1 section only: Round 1 at 9:30am, Round 2 at 10:30am, Round 3 at 11:30am, Round 4 at 12:30pm. Rounds may begin earlier, as soon as all games in section conclude.
Rounds may begin earlier, if all games in a section conclude ahead of schedule. A lunch break will be worked into the schedule if needed.
- Open sections: Game in 60 minutes thinking time for each player (120 minutes total), with 5 second delay each move. Please bring a clock if you have one
- K-1 section (if available):Game in 30 minutes thinking time for each player (60 minutes total), with 5 second delay each move. If players have clocks, please bring them, since we have a limited number of clocks.
Prizes: Trophies, medals or other chess prizes, to be determined. Awards ceremony to follow shortly after each section ends.
Questions: Contact Jonathan Schroer at: email@example.com or call (919) 303-3636.
Additional Registration Information: For student drop-offs, emergency contact information is required. Registration on site is between 8:30-9am on the day of the tournament. Registration after 9am will result in a first round bye. Cash, checks, and PayPal are accepted.
New players welcome! Snacks, drinks, and pizza will be available for purchase onsite.
If you cannot attend, please call The New School at (919) 303-3636 by 9am on the day of the event, so that you will not be paired, and leave another player without a game.
Tournament directors’ discretion could merge or alter sections, depending on entrants.
Parents will be able to view the tournament from a distance.[/expand][jbox vgradient=”#ffffff|#ededfb” color=”gray”][wufoo username=”montessoricenter” formhash=”m186hbq51jj0pi1″ autoresize=”true” height=”1134″ header=”show” ssl=”true”][/jbox]
After submitting the Registration Form please click the “Buy Now” button to pay the $15 entry fee ($10 for TNS students) via PayPal. If you do not wish to use PayPal, you will need to pay by cash or check onsite. Please note that the entry fee is $25 ($20 for TNS students) if you do not register by 9:00pm on Friday, December 5.
CLICK BUTTON TO PAY REGISTRATION FEE